top of page
Domestic Violence FAQ List

Domestic Violence FAQs

What is Domestic Violence?


Under the provisions of North Carolina General Statute [Chapter 50B] , domestic violence means any assault, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of one family or household member by another who is or was residing in the same single dwelling unit. This can include but is not limited to:


  • Physical Abuse: pushing, slapping, kicking, punching, choking and beating;

  • Emotional/Verbal Abuse: threats, verbal intimidation, following and stalking or acting out in anger;

  • Sexual Abuse: any unwanted touching or forcing of someone to engage in a sexual act against his or her will.


Return to top

What is a Domestic Violence Protection Order?


This is a petitioned order coming from the Court through the Domestic Violence Division that helps a victim (Petitioner) allow the Court jurisdiction over the parties noted and puts provisions in place as to avoidance of any further acts of violence.


Return to top

How can I apply for a Domestic Violence Protection Order?


How can I APPLY? There are three Departments that can assist individuals seeking a Temporary Domestic Violence Order.


Safe Space:


Safe Space can assist individuals seeking assistance from Temporary Domestic Violence Protection Orders. Safe Space is open during business hours and is located at:

113 S Main St #107, Louisburg, NC 27549
(919) 497-5444


Franklin County Clerk Of Court (Civil Department)


Franklin County Clerk can issue DVPO’s during regular business hours.


Address: 102 S Main St, Louisburg, NC 27549

Phone (919) 497-4200



Magistrate Office

Domestic Violence Orders are generally issued during business hours by Safe Space. However, in emergency situations, after business hours, holidays or weekends Individuals should call 919-496-2511 for magistrate consultation. 



285 T. Kemp Road

Louisburg N.C 27549

Tel: 919-497-4280




Return to top

Are there any other injunctions available if my situation is not domestic?


Individuals should contact their Local Law Enforcement agency to report all forms of abuse. Reporting abuse is shown to reduce offender violence.  Ensuring the safety of oneself or another is the first step to a safe home and community.


Return to top

Who can get a domestic viloence protection order?


You can seek legal protection from acts of domestic violence done to you or your minor child by someone you have had a "personal relationship" with, which includes:


  • Your spouse, or ex-spouse,

  • A person of the opposite sex with whom you live or used to live,

  • Someone you are related to, including parents, children, grandparents and grandchildren, over the age of 16,

  • Someone with whom you have a child in common,

  • A current or former household member, or

  • Someone of the opposite sex whom you are dating or have dated.  ("Dating" is defined as being romantically involved over time and on a continuous basis during the course of the relationship.)*

  • Teens under the age of 18 need a parent or guardian to file for a protective order on their behalf.  For more information, speak to a local domestic violence organization


Return to top

What local online resources are there about domestic violence?


You may visit the following websites for information and help regarding domestic violence locally.



Franklin County Social Services


Safe Space.


North Carolina Against Domestic Violence.


Domestic Violence for Students



Return to top

bottom of page